Silas MCCARTY, the son of John MCCARTY and Ann HARMAN, was born about 1700 in Ireland. He died about 1750 in Haycock Twp., Bucks Co., PA.
He was married to Sarah CARRELL (daughter of James CARRELL and Sarah DUNGAN) in 1722. Sarah CARRELL was born about 1700 in Bucks Co., PA. She died in 1760.
"Sarah Carrell married Silas McCarty, who was a Presbyterian, but he later
affiliated himself with the Baptists. In his will he left one acre of
ground to the New Britain Baptist Church, on which to erect a church
building. This plot of ground is separated from his plantation near
Quakertown, but only a few scattered tombstones and the foundation
cavities remain to mark the site of the old church. His wife, Sarah
Carrell McCarty, is buried in the graveyard of the New Britain Church,
of which she was a member."(1)
"Silas McCarty, born about the year 1700, was the ancestor of the
McCarty family of Richland, with whom this narrative is concerned.
He took up a tract of 350 acres in what became later Haycock Township,
just over the line of the present Richland Township, adjoining the
Logan tract on the west, the Bryan tract on the south, and the Jacob
Strawn tract on the east.
The patent for this tract of land from John, Thomas and Richard
Penn to Silas McCarty is dated 1 mo. 3, 1737/8, but he was probably
located there under a proprietary warrant of survey for some years
prior to that date.
He died seized of this land in the year 1750, leaving a will dated
January 3, 1749/50, probated on May 1, 1750, which devised to his wife
Sarah his plantation for life, then to all his children, his son Carrell
excepted. To this son Carrell he gave 100 acres off the end of his
plantation. To the congregation of Baptists he devised a plot of one
acre on the east side of his plantation "where a Meeting House stands."
This was near the village long known as Strawntown, where a much neglected
Baptist burying-ground is still in existence."(1)
Silas MCCARTY and Sarah CARRELL had ten children:
- Carrell MCCARTY was born in 1723.
- James MCCARTY was born in 1 November 1725.
- Silas MCCARTY was born in 16 June 1727.
- Benjamin MCCARTY (born on 5 August 1731).
- Lydia MCCARTY was born1733
- Elizabeth MCCARTY was born1735
- Hannah MCCARTY was born 6 December 1737
- William MCCARTY was born 29 December 1739
- Thomas MCCARTY (born on 12 April 1741, died 9 October 1804).
- Paul MCCARTY was born 29 April 1744
- The Descendants of James Carrell and Sarah Dungan, his wife. Compiled by Ezra Patterson Carrell, 1928; Pgs. 29, 39 - 40.
- Friant e-mail
- THEN and NOW, pg 279
- Karen Haskett
- Broderbund: PA church archive CD